1. That COVER. love how it works with four. our first two-parter, the end of volume one — MY LIFE AS A WEAPON — and the introduction of RED. the next unifying color for our next volume.
2. i’m as amused by the recaps and sana & steve’s credits as you are each month. it’s always by them.
3. i wasn’t happy with four. couple reasons. first, everything i write is awful. hard to overcome that. second, i love javier. LOVE HIM. i read this one issue of CATWOMAN he and Ed did until the staples fell out. And I wanted to write for him so badly that… i wrote for him very badly. anyway i think i did better this time. there’s always a learning curve; the problem is, you gotta publish ‘em.
these two were written full script instead of plot style, or “plot style” as what i do isn’t really that.
4. in the HAWKGUY 7 script to jesse and steve, i summed the writing of the book as “come up with a fairly simple story and then figure out the absolutely most complicated way to tell it.” this is an example of that, and me kind of making fun of the thought i had, while writing it, that, gee, this one seems awfully straightforward.
5. THE TAPE. I wrote a comic about the Seal Team 6 mission that killed Osama bin Laden. Completely amazing story. And grist for the fiction mill. This story — Clint kills Osama (or an Osama stand-in) and the tape gets out — was my initial pitch for the book.
6. KERKFUFFLE! javier gives aja a run for his sfx money a couple times in this one.
7. “We have a problem here or WHAT?” Javier Pulido, ladies and gents.
8. cigarettes: every ex-smoker i know has that moment. almost always suddenly, almost always random, almost always totally and inexorably serious: i’d give everything i have for a cigarette right now.
9. kingpin. javier does a great kingpin.
10. THIS ISSUE: HE SHOOTS AN ARROW. STILL NO COSTUME THOUGH SORRY.
12. — shoe — I’d written myself into a DIE HARD homage and didn’t even try.
14. Should’ve cut to a POV shot of the hawkeyes coming back at us. ah well.
15. yes: kate was MM the whole time. it was kate that went rummaging down the front of clint’s pants for the SHIELD card. “there’s things i can’t UNFEEL ever, too, Clint.”
16. ugh out of pages just dump your surviving cast in a room and have them explain everything to each other jesus you hack
17. we should just have a helicarrier tethered to the rooftop from now on. like it’s where clint parks.
18. MANDY I MISSPELLED YOUR NAME TWITTER NAME IN THE COLUMN i’m sorry it was late and i had to type fast. sorry i missed it.
PIZZA DOG’S owner is @mandybu. not @mandubu. no idea who or what @mandubu is. @MANDYBU.
Also this was before the flood issue was greenlit so pizza dog gets moved to 11.
okay! see you in two weeks for the big holiday issue.